Environmental Health

Contact Us

  • Phone: 970-328-9813
    Fax: 970-328-8788

    Environmental Health
    P.O. Box 179
    500 Broadway
    Eagle, Colorado 81631-0179 


Common Concerns

My neighbor...

  • is doing construction work without a permit.
  • The building department has an overview document regarding general permit requirements.  However, unless you are putting up a detached storage shed that is less than 120 square feet, shorter than 10 feet at the peak of the roof, and does not have any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical systems, assume you need a permit.  Replacing exterior windows and doors, furnaces, installing a wood stove, and demolishing a structure are just a few of the items that require a permit.  Common items that do not require permitting include non-structural patios/sidewalks, decks less than 30" above grade, replacement of floor covering, and painting/papering or similar interior/exterior work.  If you commence work requiring a permit before obtaining one, you will be subject to paying four times the normal permit fee.

  •  is moving dirt, or building a berm.
  • The Engineering Department requires a grading permit any time dirt is moved -- unless you have an exemption.  This includes building a landscape berm.  Common exemptions for grading permits include utility excavations, mining activity, cemeteries, agricultural roads, or grading that will not impact adjoining properties.  Even if you qualify for an exemption, it is best to contact Engineering before starting work.

  •  does not have a wildlife resistant ("bear proof") trash can.
  • Eagle County Ordinance 07-001 requires most residents and businesses in unincorporated areas (excluding El Jebel/Basalt and Eagle areas) to have approved wildlife resistant ("bear proof") trash containers.  Fines can be as high as $500 for repeat offenders, with waivers if a can is purchased within the specified time frame.  Wildlife resistant containers must be certified by the Living with Wildlife Foundation as bear resistant.  Homemade modifications do not satisfy the ordinance.  Locally, compliant cans are available through your trash provider and at the Vail Valley Ace Hardware.

  •  has an illegal apartment (accessory dwelling unit).
  • Most residential lots in unincorporated Eagle County are zoned for one dwelling unit.  If you have a full second kitchen in your home, and you do not live in a resource zone district or otherwise have county approval, chances are you have an illegal second dwelling, or accessory dwelling unit.  If illegal dwelling units are discovered, code enforcement will require that the second kitchen be removed.  In addition, any building work that took place without permits must be inspected and approved through the permitting process. 

  •  is accumulating junk or garbage.
  • Eagle County does not have an ordinance prohibiting the accumulation of junk or rubbish.  Code enforcement often works informally with landowners to have properties cleaned up voluntarily, however.  In addition, the operation of a junkyard, landfill, or the presence of a condition that rises to the level of a public health nuisance, may result in formal enforcement action.

  •  is noisy.
  • The noise standards in the Eagle County Land Use Regulations apply only to industrial and commercial activity.  Residential noise issues can be addressed through civil action under state statute and via homeowner associations.  The state statute exempts certain entities and activities, including schools, snow plowing, and public safety efforts.

  •  has too many people living in their home.
  • The land use regulations state that up to 4 unrelated individuals may occupy a dwelling unit, or 1 person per 300 square feet of living area.  For concerns regarding the number of people occupying a dwelling, code enforcement generally seeks to mitigate the impacts (parking, trash, etc.) first, because of the difficulty involved in proving the number of people that occupy a home.