Clerk & Recorder

Contact Us

  • Hours of Operation

    Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    Motor Vehicle
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Closed on Wednesdays

    Closed on county holidays

    Recording: 970-328-8723
    Motor Vehicle: 970-328-8729
    Voting / Elections: 970-328-8715
    Marriage License: 970-328-8723
    Liquor License: 970-328-8718
    Avon: 970-328-9670
    El Jebel: 970-328-9570
    Toll Free: 1-970-963-4700
    Fax: 970-328-8716

    Clerk & Recorder
    P.O. Box 537
    500 Broadway, Suite 101
    Eagle, Colorado  81631

Register Out-of-State Vehicle

If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, all vehicle owners are required to declare their intent to have the Colorado Certificate of Title to be issued in Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivorship or Tenants in Common. All owners must be present (at an Eagle County Clerk & Recorder’s office) or complete the Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship Acknowledgement of Intent DR 2395 document.

Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship

Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship is a form of legal co-ownership of property (also known as survivorship). At the death of one co-owner, the surviving co-owner becomes sole owner of the property. Transfer of ownership requires a copy of the death certificate and signature of survivor.

Tenancy in Common

Tenancy in Common is the equal or unequal holding of property by two or more persons. At the death of one co-owner, the deceased share of the property goes to his/her estate and is to be divided according to his/her will or the law in the absence of a will. Transfer of ownership requires documents that appoint a personal representative for the decedent.


Motor vehicle registration must be completed within 90 days after becoming a resident of Colorado. Residency is established when any one of the following criteria is met:

  • own or operate a business in Colorado
  • reside in Colorado continuously for 90 days
  • obtain employment in Colorado

Vehicle owner/s will be required to complete the Colorado Residency Establishment DR 2504 document.

Late fees

If registration is not completed within 90 days of becoming a resident, you will be charged a late fee of $25.00 per month, up to a total of $100.00. 


The following documents are required in order to register a vehicle in Colorado that is currently registered in another state:

  • title or current registration
  • a completed Verification of Vehicle Identification Number DR 2698 form by a Colorado law enforcement officer or Colorado licensed dealer (fees apply)
  • name and address of lessor, if vehicle is leased
  • secure and verifiable identification
  • weight slip if registering a truck that the weighs more than 4,500 pounds unless the empty weight is on the title or registration
  • current proof of Colorado insurance (policy sighted on smartphone will be accepted)


Proof of Colorado insurance must include the following:

  • effective dates of coverage, which must be current
  • vehicle description, including vehicle identification number

The following are accepted forms of Colorado insurance:

  • a Colorado insurance card
  • a Colorado insurance binder or policy
  • the declaration page from the Colorado insurance policy
  • a letter from your insurance agent on company letterhead verifying Colorado insurance coverage

Please note per Colorado legislation C.R.S 42-3-105(l) (d), which came into effect 1 July 2014, out-of-state insurance policies cannot be accepted.