Clerk & Recorder

Contact Us

  • Hours of Operation
    Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.  
    Closed on county holidays.

    Recording: 970-328-8723
    Motor Vehicle: 970-328-8729
    Voting / Elections: 970-328-8715
    Marriage License: 970-328-8723
    Liquor License: 970-328-8718
    Avon: 970-328-9670
    El Jebel: 970-328-9570
    Toll Free: 1-800-225-6136
    Fax: 970-328-8716

    Clerk & Recorder
    P.O. Box 537
    500 Broadway, Suite 101
    Eagle, Colorado  81631

Liquor License

Obtaining a Liquor License

For information on obtaining a liquor license in unincorporated Eagle County, call the Clerk and Recorder's Office at 970-328-8718. For licensing within incorporated towns, please contact the incorporated towns.

Resolution Regarding Eagle County Beer and Liquor Licensing Policies and Procedures

Department of Revenue Liquor Publications

Eagle County and State Liquor Licensing Fees

Liquor License Renewals
DR 8400 Renewal Application

All liquor licenses (state and county) must be renewed annually. Approximately 90 days prior to expiration, the Department of Revenue will send you a renewal form. If you do not receive the form please contact Liquor Enforcement at 303-205-2300.

The clerk's office will also send you a courtesy notice near the time you receive your renewal from the state reminding you of the fee for renewal of the county license.

Please complete the renewal form and return it along with the state and local fees to the Clerk and Recorder, P.O. Box 537, Eagle, Colorado  81631.

Applications must be filed with the local authority at least 45 days from the date of expiration of the license. Within 90 days after the expiration, the local authority may charge a $500 late fee.  (C.R.S. 12-47-302(2)(a).

After 90 days have lapsed, an application for new license must be filed. (C.R.S. 12-47-302(2)(b).

DR 8009 Change of Mailing Address/Name Notification
Complete this form to change the business mailing address.

New Licenses and Transfers of Ownership
To apply for either a new liquor license, or to transfer the ownership of an existing liquor license, you will need to complete the following forms: 

With your application, you will need to submit three (3) separate checks - one (1) each to: A) Colorado Department of Revenue for state fees; B) Eagle County Clerk and Recorder for county fees; and C) Colorado Bureau of Investigation for background checks. See the fee list above for appropriate amounts.

Fingerprint cards can be obtained from any local law enforcement agency.

The entire process for a new license or to transfer ownership of an existing license can take anywhere from 60 to 90 days. To expedite this process, it is recommended that new license applicants request for concurrent review by the state.  It is recommended that transfer of ownership applicants request a temporary permit be issued by the county. The cost for either of these is an additional $100.

It is highly recommended that you sit down with the county's liquor license coordinator when filing your application, as there are many requirements that need to be met to obtain a liquor license. Failure to meet any of these requirements could seriously delay processing of the application.

Special Events Permits Guidelines
If you are a nonprofit agency and are planning to hold a liquor-related event at an establishment in unincorporated Eagle County that does not possess a liquor license, you must apply for a Special Events Permit. All applications must be received by the Clerk and Recorder’s Office at least 30 days prior to the date of the event, to allow for proper processing. Failure to do so will result in your application being denied.

Special Events Permit Fees

  • County Fees: $100 per application (regardless of number of days of event).  Make check payable to Eagle County Clerk and Recorder. No cash payments please.

Eagle County requirements are more stringent than the state’s. Download the DR 8439 Special Permit ApplicationSpecial Events Checklist, Law Enforcement Notification Form, and Special Events Alcohol Management Plan here.

Applications that are faxed or emailed will not be accepted.

Manager’s Registration
All licensees possessing a Hotel and Restaurant or a Tavern License are required to register their managers with local and state authorities.  Should your designated manager change, you must notify Eagle County within five days, and register the new manager within 30 days.

To register a manager complete the following forms: DR 8442 Report of ChangesDR8404-I Individual History and a fingerprint card. Contact a local law enforcement agency for fingerprinting. Please complete and submit all forms along with the appropriate fees, to the Clerk and Recorder’s Office.

Background Checks
All persons applying for a new liquor license, for the transfer of ownership of a liquor license, or for a manager’s registration must submit a fingerprint card for a background check. Fingerprint cards can be obtained from any local law enforcement agency.

Background checks are performed by the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The CBI fee for conducting such background checks is $38.50 per individual. This fee is separate from other state and county fees that may be incurred. The CBI accepts only business, or certified checks only. Personal checks are not accepted.

DR 8442 Reporting Changes or Requesting Additional Permits

Complete this form if you are requesting a duplicate license, retail-warehouse storage permit, trade name change, modification of the license premise, or changing location. Contact the Clerk and Recorder's office for additional information.

DR 8177 Corporation, Limited Liability Company and Partnership Report of Changes

Complete this form if you wish to add or remove officers, directors (corporation) or managing members (LLC) or general partner(s). Contact the Clerk and Recorder's Office for additional information.

DR 8443 Art Gallery Permit Application

An Art Gallery Permit allows art galleries to offer complimentary malt, vinous, or spirituous liquors for consumption on licensed premises. Alcohol beverages may not be served more than four (4) hours in any one day, and no more than 15 days per year. The permit is valid for one year from date of issuance. Contact the Clerk and Recorder's Office for additional information.

Alcohol Server Training
Eagle County requires that all employees serving, selling, or dispensing alcoholic beverages must be trained through one of the following approved programs:

Employees must be certified within 30 days of their hiring date, and training must be repeated every three years.