Smoke in the Eagle River Valley

Smoke in the Eagle River Valley is coming in from fires to the west. For more information, visit

If smoke is thick or becomes thick in your neighborhood you may want to remain indoors. This is especially true for those with heart disease, respiratory illnesses, the very young, and the elderly. 

CSU Extension

Contact Us

  • Phone: 970-328-8630

    CSU Extension
    P.O. Box 239
    441 Broadway
    Eagle, Colorado 81631-0239

Support local 4-H youth at the Junior Livestock Auction this Saturday

Contact: Jenny Leonetti, 4-H/Youth Development Agent, 970-328-8631 or

July 21, 2016 – Local 4-H participants will sell their beef, swine, sheep and poultry animals to the highest bidder at the Junior Livestock Auction this Saturday, July 23 at the Eagle County Fairgrounds. A buyer barbeque will take place at noon and the auction begins at 1:30 p.m. Both events take place in the Eagle River Center located at the west of end of the fairgrounds.
4-H members invest countless hours throughout the year with daily feeding, cleaning and handling of their animals in preparation for exhibition at the fair and sale at the auction. Animals are evaluated by professional livestock judges, and those that meet established market quality standards will be auctioned at the Junior Livestock Auction.

“The kids learn a little enterprise along the way - mostly that the payoff at the auction is part of doing business,” said Jenny Leonetti, Eagle County 4-H Youth Development Agent.  “The kids buy and raise their own animals, including feeding, watering, grooming, managing their overall health and keeping a daily record book,” she said. “Buying an animal from the auction is an ideal choice for anyone, from a resident to a restaurant owner that supports local food production.”

According to Leonetti, 4-H members receive 97 percent of the proceeds, which they typically invest in next year's animals, college funds and savings accounts. The other 3 percent goes to the Junior Livestock Sales Commission to cover the costs of running the auction.
Animals are taken directly to processing following the auction. All accounts must be paid at the time of the sale, with a personal check, cash, certified funds or a major credit card.

The yearly auction is made possible through the support of local sponsors, buyers and through the work of the volunteers on the sale committee. For more information, visit