Eagle County is one cog in a Transportation Collaborative, which consists of a forward thinking group of valleywide representatives from the county, the towns and special interest groups that are working together to identify current and future transportation issues as well as propose and implement solutions. By enhancing the dialogue, we can work together locally to be better prepared when responding to the federal and state authorities on transportation issues.
The discussion to date has included:
- Transportation implications of existing and future land use approvals
- Transportation improvements required to maintain an “adequate” level of service for our residents and visitors
- Ramifications and relationships to the overall transportation system relative to public transit, bus systems, potential rail systems, airport expansion, etc
- Identifying funding sources to address the transportation system deficiencies
- Determine who the players are and what partnerships should be formed
- Determine financing options
- Determine timing
Programs and projects the Collaborative has achieved or is currently working toward outcomes on include:
- Review of existing transportation reports, plans and data to determine the current level of service and existing deficiencies
- Completion of the Eagle/Gypsum/Eagle County financial analysis for transportation improvements in the down valley region
- Investigation and discussion of transportation infrastructure financing opportunities
- Assisting the I-70 Coalition regarding a study of land use patterns and potential transit station locations along the I-70 corridor
The Transportation Collaborative is an excellent example of communication and collaboration among the community leaders working in unison to identify transportation issues and find solutions.
Together with the county's strong ECO Transit and ECO Trails systems, this collaboration is working hard to move Eagle County toward a sustainable transportation future.