Most citizens find that their specific needs for carrying a concealed handgun while in their home, business or private vehicle fall within the current law without needing a permit. If you would like to carry a concealed handgun on your person (for example, in your pocket, purse, coat, etc.) you will need to apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP).
Applications are accepted Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., at the Sheriff’s Office main location, 885 E. Chambers Ave in Eagle. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Concealed Handgun Permit Application
- Be at least 21 years of age. (18 years of age for a temporary emergency permit)
- Reside or own property, or own or lease real property for a business in Eagle County, or be a member of the armed forces and stationed pursuant to permanent duty station orders at a military installation in this state.
- Provide proof of residency by submitting a copy of a valid Colorado driver's license or valid Colorado or military photo identification. If address on identification is not correct, you must provide another proof of address (i.e. utility bill, mortgage statement, bank statement, etc.). Per C.R.S. 42-2-119, you have 30 days to notify the Department of Motor Vehicle of an address or name change.
- Pass a background check. The purpose of the background check is to determine if all required paperwork was submitted, and whether the applicant meets all criteria specified in C.R.S. 18-12-203. Regardless of whether the applicant meets the criteria specified, if the sheriff has reasonable belief that documented previous behavior by the applicant makes it likely the applicant will present a danger to self or others, the sheriff may deny the permit.
- Pay two non-refundable processing fees to cover the costs associated with fingerprinting and background checks. These fees are due upon submission of the completed application.
- Demonstrate competence with a handgun by submitting a copy of an acceptable firearms safety and proficiency training course. One of the following must be provided
In addition to the completed application form, you must submit:
Fingerprints and photographs may be taken at the time of application.