Fair & Rodeo

Contact Us

  • 800-225-6136 toll free
    970-328-8600

    P.O. Box 850
    500 Broadway
    Eagle, Colorado 81631-0850

    info@eaglecounty.us


Overview

Junior Livestock Auction Saturday, July 22, 2017.

Local 4-H participants will sell their beef, swine, sheep, poultry, goat and rabbit animals to the highest bidders at the Junior Livestock Auction Saturday, July 22nd at the Eagle County Fairgrounds. A buyer barbeque will take place at noon and the auction begins at 1:00 p.m. Both events are held in the Eagle River Center located at the west of end of the fairgrounds. 

The auction is a culmination of many months of commitment and effort by the 4-H members. Steer project members have been raising their steer since October of 2016. Most other animals were bought after the New Year.  Every 4-H member must take full responsibility for their animals including, purchasing, feeding, watering, grooming, and managing their overall health.  They also learn to prepare themselves and their animal for show and keep a daily record book on each animal. Each 4-H member is allowed to sell one of each species up to two animals in the livestock auction. 97% of the purchase price goes directly to the 4-H member.  These kids use the money for future 4-H animal projects, college funds and savings accounts.  The other 3% goes to the Junior Livestock Sales Commission to keep the sale going each year with administrative costs and marketing for the auction.  At the fair, animals are judged by professional livestock judges, and those that meet established market quality standards will be auctioned at the Junior Livestock Auction.

These youth are the leaders of tomorrow. The 4-H program is designed to teach their members valuable leadership skills that will benefit them in any career they may choose. The animal projects teach them the meaning of responsibility, hard work and the basics of running a small business.

We encourage everyone to come to the auction and make a purchase to help our young people meet their goals and reward them for all of their hard work and commitment to becoming the leaders of tomorrow. The kids need and appreciate your support as a buyer this year more than ever.

The sale is made possible through the support of the sponsors and buyers listed on this website, and through the work of the volunteers on the sale committee. All donations and contributions are tax deductible, and your help will be greatly appreciated by the exhibitors and community alike.

Auction Instructions in 3 Easy Steps

  • Step 1 – How to buy 
              Buying an animal is simple, just raise your hand! Bid until you put forward the highest bid.
  • Step 2 - Buying Options
    • Option 1
         Purchase animal for your own consumption or split the cost with a friend.
    • Option 2
         Donate your animal to a worthy cause.  Ask your accountant about tax deduction possibilities. Buyers donating meat to a worthy cause must pay all processing and delivery fees.
    • Option 3
         Buy Back. Buyers may consign their purchase back to the JLSC. Your purpose of buying at the auction is solely for support and promotion. Buyers do not retain possession of the animal with this option.
         Price bid today per head minus today’s buyback price equals your total amount due. Example: If you purchase a 1,200 pound steer for $2000 and the market (buy-back) price is 1.10/pound,
         then you owe only the difference of sale price ($2000) minus buy-back price (1.10 x 1,200 pounds) equaling a cost to you, the buyer of $680. The buy-back option, allows you to pay less money up front at the sale, and may allow you to purchase more than one animal. 
  • Step 3 - Pictures and Pay
    •  Pictures: Immediately after you have made a successful bid, proceed to the portrait area where the official Junior Livestock Sales Commission auction photographer, will photograph you with the animal and the 4-Her. A picture will be delivered within a few weeks.
         Clerks are available to fill out your bill of sale.

Show Ring and Auction Jargon Glossary

Grand Champion:  The best exhibit in a division
Reserve Champion: The second best exhibit in a division.
Class Champion: In each market division there are three to four classes based on weight. Grand Champions are selected from Class Champion Winners.
Reserve Class Champion: The second best exhibit in a class and eligible for Reserve Grand Champion.
Blue Ribbon: Exhibit meets project requirements and is high quality.
Red Ribbon: Exhibit meets project requirements and is average quality.
White Ribbon: Exhibit does not meet all project requirements and/or is below average quality (needs improvement). These animals are not eligible to be sold in the JLSC Auction.
 
The full schedule of 4-H events and shows is available here.